Our Graduate precinct is located in our beautiful, park like campus and offers different configurations of accommodation in our heritage houses, architect- designed apartments with views over the city and our new Graduate Centre.
Your private space to make your own and recharge.
Graduate students live in graduate-specific accommodation in a number of areas of the College. The accommodation concept for most graduates is a personal study and rest space adjoining a communal living area.
A typical living space features a lounge, dining, kitchen, bathroom and laundry facilities shared between 3 – 6 graduates.
Subject to availability, there are a number of other configurations, including rooms without kitchen facilities, and self- contained apartments for students wanting additional space or with long-term partners.
- Standard room features a bed (queen or double depending on the room), a pillow and a mattress protector, bookshelf, wardrobe, desk, desk chair and heating. Bathrooms, which are unisex, are shared on a shower-to-student ratio of about 1:4.
- Graduate Centre ensuite rooms features ensuite bedrooms with flexible floor plans for you to configure to suit your needs. The common spaces are designed to facilitate connecting with your fellow graduates – these include a shared kitchen, large lounge and balconies with views over the College, city and park.
- The campus has unlimited wireless internet which is charged at $150 per semester.
- You need to supply your own bed linen, towels, study lamp, computer, posters and other personal touches.
Your room is allocated to you in the first year, but in later years you are able to indicate a preference for a particular room, or rooms.
Dining Hall and Meals
One of the greatest features of Ormond life.
It’s a place for great conversations, meeting new people, and delicious meals. Eat delicious meals and sit next to someone new everyday to have the true Ormond experience.
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day in the servery (21 meals per week)
- Two nights a week we host ‘formal hall’. An time-honoured tradition of wearing academic gowns and table service.
- Your guests are welcome (fee applies)
- Breakfast includes cereals, toast, fruit, porridge during winter and a full cooked breakfast twice weekly. Lunch includes a self-service sandwich bar as well as hot options. On Sundays, we serve an extremely popular brunch.
- Cater for many dietary requirements, including gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, halal, and kosher. Prospective students should discuss any other special requirements during their selection interview.
We cater for vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free diets. Prospective students should discuss any special requirements or combinations of requirements that they may have during their selection interview.
Cafe & Common Areas
When it comes to social spaces, Ormond graduates are spoilt for choice.
Middle Common Room (MCR): the MCR is a heritage space that provides a great environment for our graduates to socialise and relax.
Cafe: serves coffee and light snacks during the day and in the evening transforms into a relaxed bar, offering wine by the glass and a number of beers on tap. As well as a performance area for mic nights and live entertainment.
Games room: Alongside the Café, is a multi-purpose space with comfortable lounges and ottomans that double as game-boards.
Billiards room: A full-sized billiards table that’s home of the annual Ormond billiards championships.
Gardens: We have numerous beautifully maintained gardens to kick a ball or relax on the grass.
Quad: Our central Quad is a social space where we host social nights and it’s also a great place to have a meal or study in the sun.
Favourite places - Todd Fernando
Academic Centre & Libraries
A learning hub for the twenty-first century.
The Academic Centre is the heart of learning at Ormond and available exclusively for Ormond students. The Centre features state-of-the-art information access, quiet study spaces and a 24-hour access library with the books you need for the courses you’re doing.
Our librarians are on hand to help you access and understand the University’s research databases.
Fitness & Recreation
Stay fit & focused with on-campus facilities.
Gym: The College maintains a well-equipped Gym – included in your Students’ Club membership. The equipment includes ergos (rowing machines), free weights, treadmills, exercise bikes, pectoral fly machine and more.
Tennis & Basketball court: A stunning rooftop space.
There are many public and University facilities within walking distance – such as the University Aquatic Centre, the University Oval, and Princes Park.
Everything you need to live and learn, at your doorstep.
Bicycle & Car Parking: Our limited student car parking is allocated on the basis of need and seniority. There is an on-site bike shed and bicycle hoops throughout the College grounds.
Copying and Printing: Colour and black-and-white copying, printing, scanning is available. Services are charged at a reasonable rate based on usage.
Information Technology: All rooms at Ormond are networked, with high-speed wireless access to the internet. Internet usage is unlimited with a flat rate of $150 per Semester for residents and $75 per semester for non-residents.
Students bring their own computers or use the computer labs at the University. The College does not provide computers for student use. IT assistance is available through the IT subcommittee.
Laundry: Shared coin-operated washing machines and driers are located on the floors of each building. You purchase your own washing powder.
TV room: Adjacent to the JCR Cafe, the TV room is equipped with large-screen television, DVD and video facilities.
Music: Designated music rooms, including rooms for band practice and ensemble practice. There are also several pianos including one grand piano.
Chapel: Holds occasional prayer services, as well as wellness activities such as yoga and meditation throughout the semester.